The most tangling league in the world had another twist this weekend. Sadio Mane inspired out of form Liverpool against their London rivals Spurs. And Sean Dyche’s impressive Burnley side halted table toppers Chelsea.
It was a quite a good weekend for Manchester United too, who couldn’t climb up the table because of Liverpool’s victory against Spurs. But, now they are just two points off 2nd place. All the top sides except Tottenham would be happy with their results.
But it was not such the case for Claudio Ranieri’s men. They lost a crucial relegation battle against Swansea, which now puts them in serious danger of being relegated.
As we are already past 25 weeks in the Premier League this season. Well, now it will take a little break because of the European fixtures. And certainly there were some defining players who have delivered some splendid performances over this span of time. So, here we take a look at top three such performers statistically.
3. Paul Pogba
The record breaking signing for Manchester United didn’t settle in immediately. The Frenchmen took some time to improve his chemistry in the United squad. In fact, some critics slammed him for not performing up to his standards or the price tag attached to him.
Yes, there was a time when Pogba was a victim of media gibes. But eventually Pogba proved his doubters wrong with some remarkable performances. And now the Frenchman is among the first names to be on the team sheet.
The stats also prove the same that Pogba has improved much over the course of time –
- Pogba ranks 3rd in accurate passes per match (63.5) while possessing an impressive passing accuracy – 85.4%
- Pogba has made the most key passes per match among his United counterparts (1.9 per match and 46 total)
- Pogba has won the ball in midfield 96 times – 3rd best in the league.
Average rating – 7.74
Performance score (Squawka): 828
2. Alexis Sanchez
The Chilean has now become the top scorer in the league after scoring a brace against Hull City last week.
Evidently, Alexis Sanchez has been the man for the Gunners this season. He has become one of the most consistent players in Arsene Wenger’s squad playing almost every league game for the Gunners.
The Chile international is not only scoring but he is creating as well.
Here are some of the stats so far –
- Sanchez is the top scorer in the Premier League with 17 goals.
- Sanchez has provided 8 assists – 2nd best in the league.
- Sanchez stands third in shots on target per match (1.5)
- Sanchez has the 2nd best record for winning the ball in the final third (23)
Average rating – 7.93
Performance score (Squawka): 1065
1. Eden Hazard
There is no doubt that the Chelsea man is currently the best player in the Premier League right now. The Belgian is now a totally different player under the management of Antonio Conte than he had been last season.
He’s one of the defining Chelsea players this season. The Chelsea no. 10 has shown that what he is capable of. The Belgian is an ‘all rounder’, a complete package, whether it be the skill or power or technique or speed or strength, he’s got it all!
The stats prove the same –
- Hazard was named the Premier League player of the month for October.
- Hazard stands 2nd in successful dribbles completed per match (4.6) with an incredible dribble success rate – 77.5%
- Hazard tops the chart for possession won in the final third (27)
- Hazard is the only midfielder besides Dele Alli among the highest scorers in the league with 10 goals.