League Two

League Two round-up: 19.03.13

Wednesday 20th March 2013
Lucy Waldon rounds up last night's games in League Two.

There were half a dozen games last night in the Football League's basement division, with six of the bottom eight in action - all looking to push away from the drop zone. At the close, York joined Aldershot in the relegation places, with neither side having kicked a ball last night.

A second win in four days for Accrington Stanley saw them move out of the bottom two places and into 22nd, two points clear of the drop. A Francis Jeffers double in the opening 20 minutes set Stanley on their way to a convincing victory over AFC Wimbledon, who are now only four points clear themselves. Jeffers' curling shot put the home side ahead after five minutes, before heading home moments later for 2-0. Will Hatfield made it three before the referee's half time whistle sounded, and Lee Molyneux completed the rout – his fourth goal in two games – firing past John Sullivan between the Dons' sticks.

Torquay claimed their first win in 12 games, also the first under Alan Knill, as they defeated Chesterfield. Joss Labadie got the Gulls off to a flyer with only two minutes on the clock. The midfielder, on loan from Notts County, made it three in as many matches, latching on to the end of Thomas Cruise's cross. Rene Howe doubled the hosts' lead six minutes later with a neat back-heel. Although Liam Cooper pulled one back for the Spireites, his header hitting the target with less than 15 minutes remaining, Torquay managed to hold on to record a vital win.

Plymouth and Barnet also secured three points apiece in their games against play-off hopefuls Southend and Fleetwood respectively. By the close of play, both victorious sides sat on 43 points, meaning it's still close at the wrong end of the table. Loss for Southend sees them six points off seventh place, after they went behind following Bilel Mohsni bringing down Joe Bryan. Paul Wotton converted from the spot, his second goal in four days. Reuben Reid extended Argyle's lead with his low drive on 75 minutes and three points sees them sit in 20th.

Barnet now sit a place behind Argyle, with an inferior goal difference of just one. In what was potentially the final game under the floodlights at Underhill, Mark Byrne put the Bees ahead midway through the opening period after he pounced on Curtis Weston's rebounded shot. The points were secured for the strugglers on the hour after some comical defending by Fleetwood – a mix-up between defender Shaun Beeley and keeper Scott Davies allowing Luke Gambin to tap in to an empty net. Barnet have only lost once at home this year, with promotion hopefuls Cheltenham the next visitors to Underhill on Saturday.

A single goal for Bradford ensured they won their first game at Valley Parade in 2013. Garry Thompson's close-range effort separated them and mid-table Wycombe.

In the evening's final game, the points were shared between Rochdale and 10-man Gillingham, with the gap at the top extended to five points. Dale took the lead early on through George Donnelly's chip but Danny Kedwell cancelled out that strike after the break. The visiting side were reduced to 10 men with just minutes remaining – Andy Frampton dismissed for an off-the-ball incident – as it finished honours even at Spotland.

Looking ahead to Saturday's games, three of the top four sides face teams battling at the bottom: Cheltenham journey to Barnet, leaders Gillingham entertain Accrington and Port Vale host Aldershot. Elsewhere, it's seventh meets fifth as Rotherham take on Exeter.

Latest League Two Articles
Right Column TBC

Your bet is on!

Bet Slip (0)
Balance: £0.00
Remove all
The line, odds or availability of selections has changed.
Please review your betslip.
Total Stake: £ 0.00
Estimated Returns: £ 0.00
Bets are accepted in accordance with the operator's rules
and terms and conditions. Hillside (UK Sports) LP is licensed
and regulated by the British Gambling Commissioner
(Licence number 39563). Registered Office Hillside (UK Sports) LP
(registration number 117), Unit 1.1, First Floor, Waterport Place,
2 Europort Avenue, Gibraltar.