Follow It's Round and It's White on Facebook

League Two Weekend Review - 19th March 2016

Tuesday 22nd March 2016
Northampton Town continue their fine run of form at the top of the table, whilst at the bottom end of the table is the fate of Dagenham and Redbridge already sealed? Matthew Story picks over the happenings in League Two.

Newport County 1-4 Bristol Rovers

Bristol Rovers moved into the automatic promotion places with an impressive fifth win on the trot at Newport. County took the lead in just the second minute through Alex Rodman, but goals from Ollie Clarke, Cristian Montano, Matty Taylor and Ellis Harrison ensured Rovers took the points back across the Severn Bridge. County boss Warren Feeney said his players looked tired after five games in the last two weeks.

AFC Wimbledon 2-1 York City

Wimbledon needed a 93rd minute stunner from Jake Reeves to see off relegation threatened York City. The Minstermen had taken the lead before half-time through Russell Penn, but Rhys Murphy equalised with 22 minutes remaining. York looked set to pick up an impressive point, before Reeves volleyed in from 30 yards with just seconds remaining.

Barnet 0-3 Oxford United

Oxford maintained their promotion push with an impressive 3-0 victory at Barnet. James Stephens produced an array of good saves for Barnet in the first half, but a Callum O'Dowda double and a late Danny Hylton goal meant it was a comfortable victory in the end. Oxford will be pleased to pick up three points against a Barnet side who have one of the best home records in the league.

Cambridge United 3-0 Yeovil Town

Yeovil's four-game winning streak ended as they were comfortably beaten by Cambridge United. Ben Williamson scored either side of a Liam Walsh red card as Cambridge lead 2-0 at the break. A late James Spencer goal completed the victory to keep the U's playoff hopes alive.

Carlisle United 1-1 Wycombe Wanderers

Joe Jacobsen missed a first-half penalty as 10 men Wycombe picked up a point at play-off rivals Carlisle. Sam Wood put the Chairboys ahead before Charlie Wyke equalised just before the half hour mark. Jacobsen's spot kick was saved by Mark Gillespie and Marcus Bean was sent off for a two-footed challenge with 10 minutes remaining, as Wycombe slipped out of the play-off spots.

Crawley Town 0-0 Hartlepool United

Sonny Bradley headed wide from just three yards with the final act of the game as Hartlepool picked up a point at Crawley. Hartlepool had been the better side as Nathan Thomas hit the bar, but Crawley captain Bradley should have won it with the last touch. The point leaves Hartlepool nine points clear of the relegation zone with two games in hand.

Dagenham and Redbridge 0-1 Accrington Stanley

Accrington Stanley heaped more misery on Dagenham and Redbridge thanks to a late Billy Kee winner. The 83rd minute goal means Stanley are just one point off the automatic places, and Dagenham are now nine points adrift of safety. Sean McConville hit the bar in the first half for the visitors, whilst Daggers boss John Still bemoaned his side's lack of quality in the oppositions box

Leyton Orient 1-0 Morecambe

Leyton Orient moved into the playoff places with a hard-fought win against 10 men Morecambe. The Shrimps keeper Barry Roche was sent off after just 12 minutes for bringing down Jay Simpson in the area before 19-year-old Kieran O'Hara saved Simpsons effort from the spot. Orient finally broke the deadlock with 10 minutes remaining thanks to a Ryan Edwards own goal, but player/manager Kevin Nolan was frustrated at Orient's inability to finish teams off.

Mansfield Town 1-1 Portsmouth

Marc Mcnulty missed a penalty as Portsmouth's automatic promotion bid stuttered again at Mansfield. Mcnulty's spot kick was saved by Scott Shearer before Matt Green opened the scoring just three minutes later. Pompey equalised before half-time thanks to a Ryan Tafazolli own goal but neither side could find a winner. The result leaves Portsmouth five points behind Bristol Rovers in third, and Mansfield seven points off the playoffs.

Notts County 1-4 Exeter City

Notts County's woeful home form continued as Exeter scored four in an impressive away performance. Izale Mcleod had equalised for County after Jayden Stockley's opener but three goals in 10 second-half minutes were enough to send the Grecians home with three points. Jake Taylor, Christian Ribeiro and Ollie Watkins were all on target, with County manager Jamie Patterson sacked after the game.

Plymouth Argyle 0-1 Luton Town

Plymouth fell out of the automatic promotion spots for the first time since September as Luton's impressive away form continued. The Hatters have won five of the last six on the road, and Jack Marriott's first half goal proved enough to beat the Pilgrims. Argyle put plenty of pressure on the Luton backline but Jonathan Mitchell produced a couple fine saves to keep them at bay.

Stevenage 2-3 Northampton Town

Northampton produced a stunning comeback to overcome struggling Stevenage. Luke Wilkinson twice headed home for Stevenage to leave them 2-0 up after half an hour but goals from James Collins and John Joe O'Toole either side of half time levelled matters. The game looked to be heading for a draw despite Stevenage defender Fraser Franks red card with 11 minutes remaining. However with seconds left, Ricky Holmes picked up the ball on the edge of the area and fired the ball into the top corner to send the travelling Cobblers fans wild. A magical moment in a season that will surely see them promoted.
Matthew Storey
Luton Town season ticket holder and Portsmouth journalism student. Mostly interested in the lower leagues, follow me on twitter @storeymatt

Total articles: 10

Latest League Two Articles