Follow It's Round and It's White on Facebook

Match Report: Doncaster Rovers 1-2 Derby County (Doncaster Fan's Perspective)

Monday 19th March 2012
Doncaster Rovers' unbeaten run of five league games was brought to an end at the Keepmoat Stadium on Saturday with the visit of Derby County. Over the past few games, the Doncaster side seem to have gelled well together and looked like a strong outfit capable of beating almost anyone. Draws with West Ham and Reading helped boost the survival hopes for this season and a win against Derby could have lifted 'little Donny' out of the relegation spots for the first time since October.

But it wasn't to be.

Derby came to the Keepmoat on the back of a derby day win against Nottingham Forest on Tuesday night. They started the game in a brighter fashion compared to Doncaster and that trend continued throughout the fixture. It was hard for Donny to keep possession and each time they had the ball, Derby were hassling them for it back. The poor start from Rovers resulted in the Derbyshire side taking the lead after thirteen minutes when Theo Robinson chipped over an advancing Carl Ikeme in the Rovers' goal. The way Rovers were playing, it didn't look as if they could score.

The hosts did come close after half an hour when El-Hadji Diouf did well to beat Tom Naylor on the left wing before swinging the ball towards Frederic Piquionne. His powerful header was straight at Frank Fielding in the Derby net who saved comfortably. The sides went into half time with the score at 1-0 to the visitors as fans hoped for something much better in the second half from Doncaster Rovers.

Derby kicked off the second half and continued to dominate the game. Former Rover Gareth Roberts doubled their lead within the first ten minutes after a neat piece of play involving another former Rover, Paul Green.

Donny managed to pull a goal back after 67 minutes when Simon Gillett sent a long free kick forward. Former Ram, Giles Barnes, nodded the ball on to El-Hadji Diouf who did well to turn and slot home his sixth goal as a Donny player. The goal made the noise from the home supporters rise but they were soon muted when Paul Green slotted home, only to be flagged offside.

Rovers pressed a little more in the closing stages but failed to score the equaliser. The game finished 2-1 to Derby which reflected the poor performance from Doncaster Rovers.
Lewis Ward

Total articles: 12

Latest Football Articles