Follow It's Round and It's White on Facebook

Match Report: QPR 3-2 Liverpool (QPR Fan's Perspective)

Sunday 25th March 2012
QPR produced an incredible comeback to claim three vital points in their battle against relegation. With 15 minutes left, a QPR victory looked about as likely as a Shaun Derry goal, with Liverpool in complete control.

However, a stunning final 14 minutes turned the game on its head.

QPR made two changes from the defeat at Bolton with Adel Taarabt and Luke Young returning to the starting XI, but started very slowly and struggled to contain Liverpool's good movement.

The first clear chance fell to Luis Suarez after Nedum Onouha made a mess of a simple clearance and the Uruguayan found himself one on one with Paddy Kenny. Kenny made an excellent save but Suarez really should have scored. Liverpool continued to press and forced a succession of early corners which the Rangers defence struggled to deal with.

Liverpool failed to take their chances and QPR slowly got to grips with the game and settled down. Cisse went close before half time with a powerful 25 yard drive but the teams went in level at half time.

Both teams were forced into a substitution at half time with Charlie Adam being replaced by Henderson and Traore being replaced by Taiwo. Liverpool started the half brightly and took a deserved lead on 54 minutes.

QPR failed to clear another corner and substitute Sebastian Coates spectacularly scissor kicked the ball from 16 yards into the roof of the net. It was an outstanding finish from the centre half and was no more than Liverpool deserved.

Mark Hughes responded by replacing the ineffective Joey Barton with Jamie Mackie. The crowd jeered Barton as he left the pitch- a reaction that helps no-one.

The substitution failed to spark QPR and Liverpool doubled their lead on 72 minutes through Dirk Kuyt. Suarez tricked his way through the QPR defence but saw his shot bounce back off the post. The ball fell to Downing who saw his shot saved by Kenny. However Kuyt couldn't fail to miss the rebound. At this point there was surely no one in the stadium who could have predicted what was to follow.

The comeback began on 76 minutes when Derry scored his first goal for the club with a towering headrer from an Adel Taarabt corner. Even at this point QPR didn't look like scoring another.

However, the equaliser came on 86 minutes. Taarabt fed a superb ball into the feet of Zamora who in turn fed Taiwo. His outstanding cross found  ex-Liverpool forward Djibril Cisse, unmarked, six yards from goal and he made no mistake. The stadium erupted.

At this moment in time, all QPR fans would have been delighted with a point, but the best was still yet to come. In stoppage time, Luke Young's header was misjudged by Jose Enrique and Mackie found himself one on one with Jose Reina. Mackie kept his cool and placed the shot between the Spaniard's legs and into the back of the net. The comeback was complete and the goal sent the fans into utter delirium!

QPR saw out the last two minutes and held on for the most unlikely victory. It was a truly remarkable turnaround and may be the catalyst to kickstart our season.
Jawad Laouira

Total articles: 15

Latest Football Articles