Follow It's Round and It's White on Facebook

Middlesbrough 2-1 Nottingham Forest (Middlesbrough Fan's Perspective)

Friday 17th February 2012
Marvin Emnes and Lukas Jutkiewicz scored as ten-man Boro won their first Championship game of 2012.

Goals either side of half time meant that the Teesiders recorded their first win since Boxing Day to re-ignite their faltering play-off ambitions with a vital three points.

The home side controlled the early play in the first half and enjoyed the majority of possession without really creating any meaningful chances and that nearly came back to haunt them. Gareth McCleary played a neat one two with striker Marlon Harewood on the edge of the Boro box and found himself in space but the Forest winger could only fire the return pass over the bar.

This Forest chance seemed to spark the home side in to life and it took an excellent block from Forest defender Scott Wooton to deny Julio Arca from scoring a fine back-post volley. Boro came close again moments later when Marvin Emnes cut in from the left with pace and hit a fierce effort that just went over.

Tony Mowbray's men continued to dominate and finally got their reward in first half stoppage time.

Seb Hines' cross field ball wasn't dealt with by Wooton and that allowed Marvin Emnes to cut into the box from the left cross-shot deflected off Moussi and passed the unlucky Lee Camp.

The hosts were clearly heartened from their opener and doubled their lead moments after the interval.

Lukas Jutkiewicz showed great strength to hold off the challenge of two Forest defenders before placing the ball in to the bottom corner from the edge of the area for his second goal in as many games at the Riverside, leaving the visitors with a mountain to climb.

The ascendancy certainly remained with the hosts and they came close again minutes later but Rhys Williams could only head wide Joe Bennett's deep corner.

Forest however halved the deficit on 66 minutes against the run of play, when Joel Lynch flicked in an Andy Reid free kick from the right.

The hosts were then put on the back foot when Kevin Thomson was shown a second soft yellow card by referee Paul Tierney on 75 minutes for a somewhat innocuous challenge on Adlene Guedioura.

Guedioura nearly nicked a point for the visitors in the closing stages but his thunderous 30 yard effort cannoned back off the bar with Jason Steele beaten.

The home side held on in the closing stages to gain a valuable three points and further worsen Forest's survival hopes.
Matthew Nixon

Total articles: 28

Latest Football Articles