Follow It's Round and It's White on Facebook

Match Report: QPR 3 Wigan 1 (QPR Fan's Perspective)

Sunday 22nd January 2012
They say 'One man's misfortune is another man's gain'. In the case of Akos Buzsaky, he has gained from the misfortune of two men. His QPR career was seemingly over and it was looking very likely that January would see him move on to pastures new. However, a season-ending injury to Alejandro Faurlin and the sacking of manager Neil Warnock have handed the Hungarian a lifeline at QPR and yesterday he grabbed his chance with both hands.

Mark Hughes made 4 changes to the side that narrowly defeated MK Dons in midweek. Fitz Hall replaced the injured Danny Gabbidon, Joey Barton returned from suspension and Heidar Helguson and DJ Campbell were preferred to Macheda and Bothroyd up front.

The home side started nervously and Wigan almost took the lead when a Ben Watson free kick was met by Gohouri who could only guide his effort narrowly wide of the post. Wigan continued to press forward and created another chance when Victor Moses' dangerous cross flashed across the face of goal.

Rangers soon found their feet and a 25 yard effort from Buzsaky flashed inches wide of the post. QPR didn't have to wait long for the lead and it was literally handed to them by Wigan. A Barton corner was curled in to the near post and James McCarthy inexplicably punched the ball away. The ref had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and Helguson made no mistake with the penalty.

QPR doubled the lead on the stroke of half time with a stunning free kick from Buzsaky. His curling effort was Beckham-esque and it flew past Al-Habsi, off the post and into the back of the net. It really was a great strike from the Hungarian and gave QPR a fully-deserved half time lead.

Hughes was forced into a change at half time, with DJ Campbell being replaced by Tommy Smith. This change saw Shaun Wright-Phillips move in to a central position, just behind Helguson.

Buzsaky was at it again soon after the interval, with his outstanding volley tipped over the bar by the impressive Wigan goalkeeper. If it had gone in it would have been a goal of the season contender.

Wigan pulled a goal back midway through the half. This time it was Rodallega's turn to hit a super free kick past a stranded Paddy Kenny. In an era where you don't see too many goals scored direct from free kicks, it was a pleasure to witness two superb efforts in the same game.

Five minutes later QPR had the perfect opportunity to give themselves a two goal lead when Helguson was pulled to the ground by Caldwell. It seemed to be a soft decision and the initial foul looked to take place outside the box. Wigan will feel justice was done as Al-Habsi saved Helguson's spot kick.

Helguson almost made amends for the miss when his 25 yard dipping half-volley flew inches wide of Al-Habsi's post.

With Wigan pressing for an equaliser, QPR were finding more space on the counter attack and scored a third when Tommy Smith rifled home a brilliant 25 yard effort into the top corner. It was another fantastic goal and one that will live long in the memory.

QPR ran the clock down and the referee blew for full time. It was a deserved 3 points for the Superhoops and will hopefully kickstart our season.

Fitz Hall and Anton Ferdinand were superb at the back Helguson led the line extremely well. However, MOTM has to go to Akos Buzsaky. Under Neil Warnock, he wasn't getting a chance in the team. Last season, the form of Shaun Derry and Alejandro Faurlin meant that he rarely got a game and with Barton coming in during the summer, it pushed him even further down the pecking order. However, with an injury to Faurlin and a change of manager, he suddenly has a chance to prove himself. Yesterday's performance can only help his cause.

The defeat leaves Wigan in deep trouble at the bottom and you really must fear for them now.
Jawad Laouira

Total articles: 15

Latest Football Articles