Follow It's Round and It's White on Facebook

Round Up: FA Cup 4th Round

Monday 30th January 2017
The FA Cup once again proved its worth providing a fourth round full of drama and no shortage of shocks as two non-league sides beat Championship opposition to progress. The holders also made it through whilst last year's beaten finalists crashed out. Here is a round-up of all the games.

Derby County 2 v 2 Leicester City

In this East-midlands derby, neither side could hold on to a lead as rain soaked Pride Park throughout proceedings. Derby forward Darren Bent scored a calamitous own-goal before scoring a glancing header at the right end. Defender Craig Bryson then scored for the hosts giving them a half-time lead. Leicester came out fighting in the second-half but could only score late on from a corner as Wes Morgan headed home.

Liverpool 1 v 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Liverpool crashed out of two cup competitions in a week as a well-drilled Wolves side turned them over at Anfield. Wolves looked dangerous on the counter-attack and took a very early lead through Richard Stearman heading in from a free-kick. Helder Costa then set up Andreas Weimann to round Liverpool keeper Loris Karius and score. Liverpool did get a late goal to make it uncomfortable for the Wolves fans but they held on and secured a huge result away from home.

Blackburn Rovers 2 v 0 Blackpool

Off the pitch, matters took centre stage at Ewood Park as both sets of fans boycotted the game en-masse.  In front of just 9,000 spectators, it was Blackburn who eased past their Lancashire rivals winning comfortably. The game was halted as the fans protesting outside the ground threw tennis balls onto the field of play. Goals from Gallagher and Bennett won the game for Rovers. The FA Cup is a rare ray of light for Blackburn fans this season as they struggle in the Championship.

Burnley 2 v 0 Bristol City

Across Lancashire, Burnley made light work of Bristol City to heap the pressure on City manager Lee Johnson. Goals from Sam Vokes at the end of the first half and an exquisite chip from Steven Defour midway through the second saw Burnley comfortably through to round five.

Chelsea 4 v 0 Brentford

In this West-London derby, it was the Premier League leaders who secured their place in round five breezing past a Brentford side who offered very little threat throughout. A free-kick from Willian and a goal from Pedro saw Chelsea take a two-goal lead at half-time. Branislav Ivanovic scored what might be his final Chelsea goal before Michy Batshuayi scored from the penalty spot.

Crystal Palace 0 v 3 Manchester City

Manchester City returned to London and once again were comfortable winners this time against a Crystal Palace side struggling for form. A brilliant move was finished off by Raheem Sterling at the end of the first-half to give City the lead. Leroy Sane made it two with a simple finish. Then Yaya Toure, who was a little fortunate to still be on the pitch, scored a free-kick, which was his eighth goal in seven games gainst the Eagles.

Lincoln City 3 v 1 Brighton & Hove Albion

Lincoln provided the shock of the round in the third round and were at it again seeing off Championship table-toppers Brighton at Sincil Bank. The seagulls took the lead through Richie Towell in the first-half but Lincoln mounted a stupendous comeback after a penalty from Alan Power and an own-goal from Brighton's loanee Fikayo Tomori put the non-leaguers in front. Theo Robinson finished the scoring in the 85th minute to see Lincoln through.

Middlesbrough 1 v 0 Accrington Stanley

Plucky Accrington pushed Middlesbrough all the way in this tie which was settled by a screamer from Stewart Downing midway through the second-half. The League Two side created chances but could not force an equaliser.

Oxford United 3 v 0 Newcastle

League One Oxford United cruised past Championship Newcastle in a dominant display which saw Newcastle miss a penalty. Kane Hemmings gave Oxford the lead before Newcastle striker Alexander Mitrovic missed from the spot. Defender Curtis Nelson then headed in to give Oxford a two-goal lead before debutant Toni Martinez finished Newcastle off late on.

Rochdale 0 v 4 Huddersfield Town

Collin Quaner marked his Huddersfield Town debut with a goal which saw The Terriers comfortably through at Spotland. Chelsea loanee Izzy Brown made it two from the penalty spot before centre-back Michael Hefele made it three. Rochdale struggled to get into the game and their misery was complete when Hefele scored again towards the end of the game.

Tottenham Hotspur 4 v 3 Wycombe Wanderers

Wycombe Wanderers were just 12 minutes away from securing a famous win at White Hart Lane but they couldn't quite hold on as Dele Alli and Heung-Min-Son scored late on for Spurs to see them through to round five. Wycombe took the lead through a well-struck volley from Paul Hayes and he then doubled their lead from the penalty spot. Spurs then scored twice firstly through Son and then Vincent Janssen, Garry Thompson then headed in giving Wycombe the lead but Spurs' class shone through and the Saddlers were denied a replay.

Southampton 0 v 5 Arsenal

Theo Walcott's hat-trick inspired Arsenal to a comfortable victory against a much-changed Southampton side. Danny Welbeck showed what Arsenal fans have been missing scoring twice on his return from injury before Walcott made easy work of Southampton scoring goals either side of half-time.

Millwall 1 v 0 Watford

In a game of few chances at The Den, it was the League One side who knocked out Premier League Watford. The Lions took the lead in the second-half through experienced forward Steve Morison who volleyed home in the 85th minute. Watford failed to create any clear-cut chances and were hampered by solid Millwall defending.

Fulham 4 v 1 Hull City

Fulham comfortably saw off Premier League strugglers Hull City who may have other things on their mind. Fulham scored first through ex-Hull man Sone Aluko. Hull managed to equalise through Goebel, but Fulham's Chris Martin restored the hosts lead. Then, Hull striker Abel Hernandez missed two penalties in a row before Sessegnon and Johansen made the game safe for Fulham.

Sutton United 1 v 0 Leeds United

History seemed to be repeating itself at Gander Green Lane where non-league Sutton once again knocked out a big name in Leeds United. A penalty saw the hosts through in a game that they deserved to win. Roarie Deacon had the ball in the net in the first half but it was ruled out in a contentious offside decision. Jamie Collins' converted from the spot as Sutton beat a team 83 places above them in the league standings.

Manchester United 4 v 0 Wigan Athletic

It was an unhappy return for former Manchester United coach Warren Joyce as his Wigan side were humbled at Old Trafford. Marouane Fellaini scored just before half-time to give United the lead before goals from Chirs Smalling, Henrik Mkhitaryan and a rare effort from Bastian Schweinsteiger made it comfortable for the holders as they progress to round five.
Tom Staniszewski
I'm Tom and I'm currently a third year journalism student based in Southampton. I'm a Crystal Palace fan and get to as many games as I can. I enjoy watching football from various leagues across Europe and I plan to host a football related radio show in the near future.

Total articles: 15

Latest Match Reports Articles